Welcome to the
Canadian Federation of University Women
Perth & District Chapter
Established in 1919, CFUW is a non-partisan, voluntary, self-funded national organization with close to 100 Clubs. In 2020 CFUW Perth and District will celebrate 50 years of service to women across the country. Fundraising through the annual Heritage Perth Christmas House Tour (7-8 December in 2019) has raised over $225,000 in support of advanced education for local women as well as literacy and other educational initiatives in local schools and libraries.
100 years of women working together. New Century. New Challenges. Join us.
The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) is an organization that wants to change the world and is emerging as a leader amongst women’s groups in Canada and Internationally. We have the ability to reach government representatives of all parties which is a feature that few women’s organizations possess. We respond to many opportunities for advocacy. Equality; Poverty and Food Security; Housing and Homelessness; Violence against Women; Rights of the Child, Child care and early learning; Advocating for a better world for women and girls and Environmental issues such as Anti Idling, The Power of Local Food; Treasuring the Tay; Youth and Opiate Addiction.
“One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world.”
-Malala Yousafzai (from her UN Speech July 12, 2013)
You Can Be A CFUW Perth & District Member
CFUW membership is open to women interested in furthering the purposes of CFUW. CFUW values and seeks a diverse membership. There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or class.
How CFUW Perth & District Helps Women & Girls
- Promote high standards of public education, advanced study and research by women, and a sound concept of lifelong learning locally and nationally.
- Advocate for the advancement of the status of women, human rights and the common good locally, nationally and internationally.
- Promote cooperation, networking, support and understanding among women.
- Encourage and enable women to apply their knowledge and skills in leadership and decision-making in all aspects of the political, social, cultural, educational and scientific fields.
What are the results of the advocacy efforts? CFUW is recognized for its dedication to:
- Education & Environment
- Advocacy Power House Award Winners
- Nationally recognized.
- MPs know who we are and what we stand for.
- Media recognition of CFUW leadership on environmental and educational issues.
- CFUW is recognized by Ministers in the current Government. They know that we contact them and that we keep following up on issues.
We are not going to go away
“Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we will change the world”
– Jack Layton